Thursday, June 13, 2013

Lesson Plan: Van Gogh Vases Collage


To most eyes this is a collage with watercolor and sharpie. I wish I could show you a better close up, but this was much more involved than that. Tip #2 to new teachers: Take lots of pictures!

Procedures (This is a multi-day unit):
1) Teach students about Van Gogh. I actually taught all of my students PK-6 about van gogh, almost around the same time. I used the same powerpoint for all of them, just removing or adding slides when needed.
2) For this project, put a heavy emphasis on Van Gogh's flower vases. Why did he paint flowers so often? 
3)Students get a demo about how to draw simple flowers. Students use sharpie to fill an entire 12 x18 thick paper with sharpie flowers. 
4) Students cut up tissue paper squares into their table group box using scissors.
5) Students place the tissue paper squares on their flowers, and wet the squares using brushes and water.
6) When the squares are dry, remove them and cut out the flowers.
7) Make a vase (crayons, pastel, watercolor...I tried different ones)
8) Glue flowers onto background paper and into vase.

Materials:
-Sharpies
-Tissue Paper (Do not get none-bleeding...it has to bleed!)
-Scissors
-Glue
-Paper

Skills Learned
-Cutting
-Flower Drawing
-Collage procedure
-Van Gogh facts

Reflection:
I loved this lesson! I think it is perfect for 1st or 2nd grade. I mostly love it for the tissue paper. My classroom came full of tissue paper and I love inventing ways to use it. An alternative to this lesson would be to glue the tissue paper to the paper...it gives it a different look for sure! I have found that K is unable to cut paper squares, but they can rip tissue paper. You will be surprised how many students claim they can't draw a flower or a vase!

Links for you:



No comments:

Post a Comment