Thursday, June 13, 2013

Lesson Plan: Van Gogh Pastel Vases

Well we can cut the procedures in half here, because you already know how I begin this lesson. If you don't, see the blog post right before this one!

Procedures:
 1) Students fill the entire 12 x 18 black paper with a pencil drawing of a flower and vase. We talked about adding patterns to the vase.
2) Students use a white glue bottle to trace the lines of their vase. 
3)Once the glue has dried, students chalk their vase with chalk pastel.
4) Teacher spends hours spraying fixative on the artwork :)

 Materials:
-12 x 18 Black construction paper
-Pencil
-Glue Bottle
-Chalk Pastel

Skills Learned:
-Van Gogh Facts
-How to draw flowers
-Patterns on the vase (should be review by this point)
-Chalk pastel exploration

Reflection:
I used this lesson for 2nd and 3rd grade, both did a great job on it. I was worried the boys wouldn't go for flowers but I had no complaints! I tried this with K, and I did the glue step for them, but the results just were not strong. They couldn't handle the idea of coloring on black paper as well.  If you are wondering about glue, I did this "glue lines" with every grade level from 1-6th and there were no glue wars, explosions, deaths, or anything bad. I guess sometimes if you give a student a big responsibility they CAN rise to the challenge! A big tip #3 for new teachers: Do not procrastinate on fixative. Always spray the same day they complete the project if you can. Just trust me!











No comments:

Post a Comment