Thursday, June 13, 2013

Lesson Plan: Mouse Paint

How do you teach primary colors? For a month I read Mouse Paint every week to my Pre-k, K, and 1st graders. By the end, they either had the book nearly memorized, or perhaps they actually learned their colors. Here is a sample of the project they completed:


The Pre-K didn't really get the idea of mixing colors...or drawing mice. I wish I took more picture of the other grade levels!  The project should loosely resemble these inspirations I found on Pinterest:

Procedures:
1) Read Mouse Paint. 
2) Have students "practice" mixing colors by using crayons to fill out a worksheet I created similar to this
3) On "thick" paper students draw (or trace for young learners) three ovals, with sharpies. They then add faces, ears, tails, arms, etc.
4)Students paint the head of the mouse a primary color. For instance, red. Then they paint the bottom another primary color...blue! Then they "mix" the tummy to make a secondary color. PURPLEEEE!
5) Students draw a cat, and mix all the colors together to make a brown cat.
6) On day 2....cut out the mice and cat and glue to background paper. Complete lesson extension or worksheets.

Materials Needed:
I used tempra cakes for this lesson. They make the mouse paint brighter and thicker. Plus, I simply put a red, yellow, and blue tempra cake in the muffin tin holder. This works really well for young learners. You could also use watercolors, and cover up with other colors with masking tape...or if you are filling really gutsy use liquid tempra.

Skills learned: 
-Shape Recognition
-Primary/Secondary Colors (Recognition and mixing)
-Literary Connections
-Cutting

Lesson Extension:
If time allows, students also painted a color wheel worksheet, similar to this.

Reflection;
Whenever I get back into my classroom I will take a picture of my teacher example. 
 As I said, pre-k struggled with this, but it is the perfect fit for K and 1st. I will definitely teach this again to K next year, and I might even bring this out for a review session with 1st grade as well. This is a great lesson.

Links for you:

No comments:

Post a Comment