Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Lesson Plan: Chalk Self Portrait

This lesson is great because I truly think it can work for any age level. I taught this exact same lesson with 1st grade:


And 6th grade!
Here is the lesson plan:
Procedures:
1) Use powerpoint to teach students about portraits. (I taught them about da Vinci and the Mona Lisa. I also talked about Van Gogh's self portraits)
2)Have students do a quick "pre"test by drawing a self portrait with NO help.
3)After the pretest, I taught the students about symmetry, facial proportions, emotions, and so forth. Then they drew themselves again!
4)After all this practice, students used a regular pencil to draw on black paper. 
5)Students used a glue bottle to trace over their lines.
6)The next class, the glue was dry and students used chalk to color in their self protrait!

Materials:
Black Paper 12x18
Pastels
White Glue Bottles 
Mirrors (from the dollar store!)

Skills Learned:
-Van Gogh and Da Vinci Facts
-How to draw self portraits
-Chalk pastel exploration

Reflection:
As I hinted in the beginning, I taught this lesson several times. In fact I also taught it to Pre-K! Their self portaits are below. Probably didn't work the best with them. But 1st and 6th, it worked really well. Using the chalk was great, because students really had to mix it to get the correct skin color. And there is something so fun about coloring with your fingers! I will use this lesson again and again!


No comments:

Post a Comment